Catalyst Art Retreat - Shibori Edition
By Catalyst Art Retreat
International Deadline: August 1, 2018 – Catalyst
Art Retreat is a unique opportunity for artists looking to reignite
their creative spark. We have designed immersive travel art residencies
allowing each artist to dedicate time to their individual practice while
working alongside artist peers from around the world. During the week
we facilitate creative activities and art salon discussions. Each
retreat culminates in a final exhibition where the artists can share
their work with the local art community.
Our vision is for artists without a full-time practice to feel
encouraged and empowered. We want artists to know there are meaningful
ways to engage with the art world while maintaining a full-time job or
devoting time to family. We envision a global community of Catalyst
artists who value travel as a conduit to inspiration and want to support
each other in carving out their own individual spaces in the art world.
See one of our current opportunities below:
Catalyst brings a little bit of Japan to Italy! Shibori means to tie,
fold, and bind cloth before dyeing using indigo dyes. We’ll demonstrate
how to create an indigo vat using pre-reduced indigo crystals and share
several fold, tie, and resist techniques. Participants will create their
own dyed cloths. We’ll also introduce complementary techniques like
shifu, Japanese thread spinning with a drop spindle.
There’s ample time for you to experiment and do your own thing. The
week will culminate in an outdoor exhibition of your creations at the
beach in Viareggio.
All creatives with an interest in learning shibori indigo dyeing are
welcome! We’ll customize the workshop for beginners and those with
- 2,500€ to 3,000€ single occupancy
- 400€ off the program rate now through July 15, 2018.
- 200€ off the program rate from July 16 through July 31, 2018.
- Mention ArtDeadline.com during booking.
- 6 nights accommodations at Casa Berti
- Professional transfers to/from Pisa Airport or Lucca train station
- Breakfast buffet, lunch, snacks, and dinner
(Includes food, beer, wine, liquor, coffee, and tea)
- Access to a large on-site art studio
- Shibori instruction and demos by our resident artist
- Indigo dyes, a selection of basic fabric, and supplies
- Art salons, and impromptu studio activities
- Mid-week party
- Day trip to Lucca with lunch
- Transfers to/from the outdoor exhibition, post-show dinner
- Participation in the Catalyst Art Exhibition: Shibori Takeover
Taxes, fees, and gratuities
Visit us online for more details. (Also see our other Residency Opportunities)
We can be contacted at any time at email@example.com
IT +39 328 4199960
US +1 415 969 7723
Top of Page
Email this article
Printer friendly page